Lithium's View blog

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving from Push to Pull...been there, done that, now what?

By XavierJ

Moving from Push to Pull...been there, done that, now what?

by Lithium Technologies XavierJ ‎12-12-2013 01:55 PM - edited ‎12-12-2013 01:57 PM

Social Business pundits love this topic.  Push -> Pull 

I'm here to tell you that while the pull economy is real and important for the maturation of social business, it's really old news.

Events emerging on the horizon are changing they way your customers relate to you on a much deeper level, and business decision makers today need to start thinking about what the social customer experience will look like after the pull economy begins to sunset.

Yes, I said the pull economy is waning.

Here's the rational.

beyond.pull.lithium.png

Having watched the emergence of the pull economy blossom over the late 90's and mid 2000's it became clear to me that somethng transformational was happening in terms of the role peer connections is playing in the new digital communcation paradigm that is emerging today. As a digital measurement and analytics practicioner over the last 15 years I've seen two truths emerge:

Truth: People trust their peers more than brands. Today's social customers have exponentially more connectivity and influence

Truth: Customer obsessed companies acquire new customers with trust and activate current customers through; highly-informed experiences online and off, knowledgeable staff delivering personal experiences and real-time interactions and solutions. 

Conclusion: 

Brands that empower trust between customers and employees, co-create shared experiences and are better attuned to the overall customer experience, which means they can more quickly pivot, extend and escape the reach of their peers. 

What does this mean for the CEO, CFO, CMO and CIO or the future? While pull is important in the new digital ecomony unfolding, Trust is the social currency that will power the new age, the age of the consumer. If you are not thinking about how to build trust between your brand, yor employees and your customers, best to pack it in right now.

discuss amongst yourselves.

Comments
by Lithium Technologies TimWi on ‎12-12-2013 03:08 PM

Xavier,

You are making a very interesting point as you define a third stage of relationship defined by "trust", not "push" (obviously), not even "pull" (any more), but "trust".

I would like to help you define "trust" because it is essential that we understand what is hidden behind. As I exerience it and as my customers tell me about it, there are a "before" and an "after" that help define that moment. A moment where you understand ("you feel in your guts") that something has changed, took more meaning, has created a true relationship. It has someting to do with the experience of the conversation, with the substential amount of information shared, with the varieties of interaction styles which lead to a more substential and meaningful conversation; one that creates "trust".

You really need to see it or to live it to believe it...

Thank you for your great contribution.

by Occasional Commentator BettyMontgomery on ‎12-17-2013 11:20 AM

I don't believe it requires a substantial amount of information to build "trust", but, it does require proof of  at least one of these traits: reliability, dependability, honesty,or  value. For example, I trust my bank, their information has always proven reliable, they can be depended upon for excellent service, (even live phone calls), they never misstate their worth, and , they are consistently the best price in their class. ( I have a great bank).

As for see it or live it, that seems a bit vague to me. I prefer the "real" approach, that comes right out and admits that since there are now umpteen( that is a real number, anybody have that figure?) places to advertise, and you could not possibly manage all of them, even if you found them, so, your best bet is to find the customers, ( you already have them) and build a relationship with them, through the four traits above. Oh, and don't forget , if you make an error, admit it, and be brave enough to say it openly! You can tweet that you made a boo boo, even Twitter admits to booboos on Twitter.

by Lithium Technologies TimWi on ‎12-17-2013 03:03 PM

I really like your point of view. I have learnt from you today. Thank you.

by Lithium Technologies XavierJ on ‎12-23-2013 03:06 PM

@TimWi - What is trust? Depends on who you ask.

Trust according to Google: [searches for trust]

trust1.png

trust2.jpg

trust3.jpg

In talking w/ many of our retail clients over the last year, what I've learned is that Trust for our purposes [social business] seems to hinge on three elements: Consistency, Honesty and Expertise.

If you think about what it is that makes a brand like Nike or Starbucks or Coca Cola trusted it also seems to hover around these three concepts. How can we apply these concepts to business?

This sounds like another blog post to me, stay tuned in 2014 for a follow up.