Community Strategy

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

TKB Metrics: What's the difference of "Net Knowledge Base Comments" and "Net Comments per Article"

New Commentator

Hey there

I am trying to find out how to best measure TKB activities. The metrics section in the admin area delivers some ideas. Some things are nevertheless a little bit poorly described. Can someone tell me what the difference is between "Net Knowledge Base Comments" and "Net Comments per Article"? 

Other tips and ideas are warmly welcomed as well! :-) 

Cheers

adrian

Re: TKB Metrics: What's the difference of "Net Knowledge Base Comments" and "Net Comm

Kudos: 22

Hi adrian  @Gonzo and welcome to the Lithium Community,

If you use the "non advanced" metric reporting then each metrics is explained in a purple text box at the top after selecting:

Net Knowledge Base Comments: The number of comments added to articles, minus the comments that have been deleted.

Net Comments per Article: The average net number of comments per article. The net number of comments is calculated by subtracting the comments that have been deleted from the total number of comments.

So the latter should be the first in relation to the overall size of your TKB in count of articles.

Also please don't forget about the LSI -> Content -> TKBs report which you can sort by "Articles" and "Comments" columns. You can also set up a scheduled report in LSI to receive e.g. monthly TKB figures.

Previously known as Claudius. New profile - Now even more content
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.

Re: TKB Metrics: What's the difference of "Net Knowledge Base Comments" and "Net Comm

Kudos: 138
Solutions: 130
Community Management
Expert
Analytics
Expert

One concept that is not always clear is the equivalence of structure nodes across discussion styles. Not sure if this is what is confusing for you, but you can think of a forum board being the equivalent of a TKB, a Blog, and an Idea Exchange. A new Topic in a forum would be equivalent to a TKB article, Blog article, and new Idea. The replies to that Topic in a forum are then equivalent to comments to that TKB article, Blog Article or Idea. So in the example you mention, one metric is for total comments in that particular TKB across articles, and the second is comments for a particular article.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

New Commentator

Hey @ClaudiusH and  @RobbL

Thanks a lot for your replies! Robb you're answering exactly what I have not understood. In the Metrics section there are so many very similar sounding sub metrics. This is sometimes a bit difficult for me especially the German translations are dodgy... 

However thanks heaps guys!! :-)

Cheers and happy weekend!

adrian

Highlighted

Kudos: 138
Solutions: 130
Community Management
Expert
Analytics
Expert

HI @Gonzo,

I can understand that it is difficult particularly when you add the factor of languages. In the meantime, @ClaudiusH pointed out to me that my explanation left out a level for this metric, and that is the community level if you have more than one TKB. So from the top, community  level, you would have comments across all articles across all TKBs. Then you have comments across all articles within one TKB, and then finally you have all comments in a single article of a single TKB. So make sure when you are working in LSI or Admin Metrics, that you are very aware of the node at which you are making the query.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."