AMA nested thread solution? Or "threaded post" solution?

Hi all,

We've been hosting AMA's (ask me anything) with our users for a number of months with terrific success.  However, it's tough to follow the conversation in real-time because people are posting responses to questions and they aren't "threaded/nested" within the topic.  We've played around with enabling "threaded posts," but it doesn't provide a user-friendly view of the questions and comments.

Has anyone come up with a solution or doing anything creative to host real-time AMAs on your community and help user's follow the comments/answers to specific questions.   Generally, we announce the AMA, and multiple people begin posting the questions they want answered prior to the date/time of the AMA.  Then, when the AMA starts, it's tough to figure out which comment is associated with which question.  

Here's an example from our own site; what you'll notice is multiple questions at the top, but there's no easy way to determine which comments go with what questions   https://www.godaddy.com/community/GoCentral-Website-Builder/quot-AMA-quot-With-GoCentral-Team-on-quo...

Thanks all!

Eric

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES
Community Management
Analytics

Has anyone come up with a solution or doing anything creative to host real-time AMAs on your community and help user's follow the comments/answers to specific questions.  

One way to help alleviate the issue is to use the quote function. When your host goes to reply to a question they should use the reply link on the post with the question they will be answering. Then they can use the quote function to copy in the question before answering it. Much like I did above. 

It isn't the best workaround as nested replies would be much simpler but sometimes you have to make the most of the tools on hand. For us, we are considering a move to Q&A format which allows something closer to the nested feel you are looking for. Q&A seems to come with its own set of issues though that we are trying to find workarounds for.

I hope this helped.

Message 2 of 9
Community Management
Navigation

On the Skype Community a new board is created for each  AMA like event, e.g. here's the one for the "Skype Talks - PReview for Windows 10" live event:

https://community.skype.com/t5/Preview-for-Windows-10-Live/bd-p/live_event_preview_2016

This has multiple benefits:

• Each question has it's own discussion: Apart from keeping the discussion together this also allows to mark an answer as the solution. Also participants can fairly easily tell if a question already received a reply (You still need to check though if the reply was from another community member or staff participating in the event)
  • You can move questions related to the AMA from another community area into the event
  • After the event you have a referencable archive of AMA questions.
  • After a week of leaving the discussion topics open for follow up questions the whole board can be set to read only.
  • Skype runs these events on community and Twitter in parallel. Twitter questions are copied to form a new community topic. See examples on this page: https://community.skype.com/t5/Preview-for-Windows-10-Live/bd-p/live_event_preview_2016/page/4

Learn how to master Lithium. Visit the Best Practice Center

Previously known as Claudius. New profile - Now even more content
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Message 3 of 9

We do an AMA every week in our Community, our Community uses chronological sorting. 

When we're answering questions, our team gets on a group Skype chat and as the questions come in we'll choose the ones we can answer and let the others know. "I'll take post 7" "I'll take post 10, someone else answer number 11" etc. Using the Quote feature when replying to users is a must for this to be pulled off successfully. 

I do like @ClaudiusH's suggestion, we do similar for major news events, but for our weekly AMA, we use one single thread. 

Community Manager - eBay
Message 4 of 9

@AlanA How to setup the mechanism of numbering posts like you describe? Post 7, post 10 and so on?

Message 5 of 9

Kamil wrote:

@AlanA How to setup the mechanism of numbering posts like you describe? Post 7, post 10 and so on?

Hi @Kamil, our Community has these for many years, not sure if they're customisations through Lithium Professional Services or if they came out of the box when we first signed up with Lithium. You should check with Lithium to see if it can be enabled in your Community. 

Community Manager - eBay
Message 6 of 9
Community Management
Navigation

The component you are looking is stock Lithium and can be added with the following  line in your ForumMessage layout quilt

<component id="message-position-in-thread"/>

If you are using a layout close to the standard one you would add this to the "main-right" container. As a result you would get the "" just like on the right hand side here on the Lithium Community:

Message_Position_in_thread.png

Message 7 of 9

Thanks!

What should I do when I want to use numbers in topics but only in one board (this one for AMA)? All others shoud remain as they are.

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Community Management
Navigation

You would need to create a custom component that wraps the above component call into a check for the current location and only display it if the forum message is matching your AMA node. (And this would be the time where this discussion would be migrating over to the Developer Discussion 😁

Before going through the effort of putting together that custom component I would rather consider adding to across all messages though. It's quite handy - particularly for super users - to link to a specific reply within a thread since the first number actually acts as a link.

Message 9 of 9