We have just launched the next generation case portal. Please visit our blog to find out what changes this brings. If you are experiencing any issues accessing the case portal please reach out to: Support.
Community Management
Customer Service

Private message search

Whoooop Whooop, it's here!!

A feature many of us waited for and we're looking forward to turning this on but, I must admit I have mixed feelings about it.

Maybe it's cultural to have these concerns but privacy is a big thing. I wonder about the usability of how the feature is currently designed, being part of Search.

I guess, I was expecting Private message search to be part of the Private Messages area, not the overall search. I invisioned when in my private message page, to have a little search box there that searches, well, my private messages. I think making this part of the search box might be confusing for users (Who's private messages is this thing searching, I better not use it)

I thought it would be great to enable this only for certain roles and it would be great for this to be its own little search in the Private Message area. I also thought it'd be great if it would be clear that it also searches into the sent messages. It's not quite obvious in the results (as I had no PMs in my inbox yet I was getting a search result and I had no frikkin' idea where it came from :-)

Is this a topic for ideas, maybe yes, I think so, I am actually quite sure it should be so that's a next step.

I guess I was posting here to see if anyone else had find ways to customize this a little? 

Happy Thursday!
Wendy

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES
Web Design
Web Development

Re: Private message search

Hi @Wendy_S

There is an alternative solution that I've played around with in our staging environment that might work a little better. It does require a little tweaking to make it look good however @PerBonomi provided an example of a solution last summer over at http://community.lithium.com/t5/Developers-Discussion/Search-your-PMs/m-p/159558#M6338 which may help.

You could wrap the custom component in FreeMarker logic to restrict it to certain user roles within the community. One of the things I like about it is that results appear in-line on the private message page, this example is limited to searching on the sender field however I'm sure with a bit of tinkering it could be expanded to subject/body of the message as well.

Robert

Click the Kudos button below if you find my posts helpful. If I've answered your query please click the Mark Solution button to help others find the same answer.
Message 2 of 5
Community Management
Customer Service

Robert. Thanks for sharing!
Is this search then also searching for keywords or only PMS from a specific user?

Community Passionista!
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Web Design
Web Development

Hi @Wendy_S

In the example that was posted by @PerBonomi the component searches for PM's from a specific user and gives date range filtering options, there's nothing to say with a little modification though that it couldn't also search for keywords in the subject/body of PM's

Robert

Click the Kudos button below if you find my posts helpful. If I've answered your query please click the Mark Solution button to help others find the same answer.
Message 4 of 5
Community Management
Customer Service

That's indeed something to try out Smiley Happy
Community Passionista!
Message 5 of 5