We have just launched the next generation case portal. Please visit our blog to find out what changes this brings. If you are experiencing any issues accessing the case portal please reach out to: Support.
Highlighted

Seeding Tribal Knowledge Base with Core Topics

I am trying to add some initial tribal knowledge base topics before launch.

I currently have these topics in FrameMaker but I could get them into any format that works.  I've done testing with Word and RTF and HTML and I'm not getting very good results.  Does anyone out there have any tips? 

Even when I enter the content from scratch I am having obstacle after obstacle with simple formatting such as indenting,  numbering, alignment, etc.  Can I get any tips around overcoming these issues? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES
Community Management
Navigation

Re: Seeding Tribal Knowledge Base with Core Topics

You should get the best results by exporting as HTML from Framemaker and importing into the HTML tab of Lithium TKB's editor.

What are the problems you are facing when doing that? Are there certain specific layout elements that break during this import?

Learn how to master Lithium. Visit the Best Practice Center

Previously known as Claudius. New profile - Now even more content
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Message 2 of 7

I am unclear on how to import the resulting HTML files into Lithium's TKB editor.

I start an article, then click the HTML tab. 

1. I don't see a control to import.  Do you mean copy and paste? 
  2. All of my short topics include screen captures.  Do I need to delete all screen captures?
  3. Even if I delete all screen captures, I still have two export files, the CSS and HTML files.
    Is my only option to copy and paste the HTML file?
  4. Specific issues include simple text formatting like step numbering, bullets, indenting,
    centering some text, giving text a color, adding a small extra line space, etc.
  5. Even if I type in the article from scratch at the editor, I get this error message when I
    click Save.  "Your post has changed because invalid HTML was found in the message
    body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the
    message when you are satisfied."  This gives me low confidence about trying to directly
    edit the HTML.

Much appreciation for any help or guidance you may be able to provide!

Message 3 of 7

Here's an example of the original FrameMaker file. 

FrameMakerExample.jpg

This is the best result I've been able to get (and the result of exactly the same steps varies).

Message 4 of 7

Message 5 of 7

KnowledgeBaseResults.jpg

Message 6 of 7
Community Management
Navigation

Thank you for your detailed reply and the example. Since I'm not using Framemaker myself I wasn't aware of the fact that the HTML export is actually a HTML + CSS export. Indeed you won't be able to easily import this combination into a Lithium TKB since by default only a subset of HTML is allowed. See the detailed list of allowed HTML tags in the documentation.

Going forward there are a two ways I can think of approaching this:

• Grant yourself as the importer - and any future author or editor of TKB articles - the "Use full HTML" permission. This will reduce the number of invalid HTMl warnings to occurrences of the "<script>" or "<meta>" tags only. The full HTML permission should only be granted to trusted members though, so you need to think carefully of this approach would work for your community setup.
  • If the article formatting (headings, ordered / unordered lists, etc.) is consistent across your community TKB you could work with your / a web developer to bake this styling into your community skin. Then you simply copy and past the text and use the TKB's rich text editor to achieve the styling from your source. 

Learn how to master Lithium. Visit the Best Practice Center

Previously known as Claudius. New profile - Now even more content
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Message 7 of 7