Google search in communities

SOLVED
Community Management
Customer Service

Hi All.

Silly question but is there anybody out there who is using the google search bar integrated in the communities vs the lithium out of the box search?

Google search is the major search engine and familiar to a large population of users. I wonder if there are benefits to integrating google search within the community but realize this might be quite unorthodox...

Any feedback or thoughts on this topic? :-) Welcome them all 

Thanks
Wendy

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES
Solution

3rd party search tools can complement Lithium's native search if you want to include other subdomains or setup federated search, but I would not replace native Lithium search with them. You lose the ability to filter by important community specific metadata (accepted solutions, kudos..etc). 

community.arubanetworks.com uses Google Search Appliance for global search, it's added to the search box as a 4th option (in addition to community, user, TKB)

Message 2 of 6
Community Management
Customer Service

Thank you!

But they did not actually implement google search as a replacement to the native community search, right?

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=test

Cheers

Wendy

Community Passionista!
Message 3 of 6

@Wendy_S Hey Wendy, did you end up using Google Search in your Community?

Message 4 of 6
Community Management
Customer Service
Nope, we haven't.
We have made a small change with Lithium to the algorithm which has driven a nice small improvement but we're still far from an ideal solution. Grazitti appears to have a really great tool with Unified Search which we're exploring (looks like a great product btw!) and we're hiring a content strategist who will start in the new year. Basically we're still in exploration mode and want to have our content strategy be influencing solution find ability as well so we're going to put our heads together and re-strategize Content and Search.

Have you been thinking about using google search. I have not seen it used very often I must admit. Perhaps others around here have any experience?

Cheers!
Wendy
Community Passionista!
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Community Management
Business
We wonder if we change to google in 1 Q next year. Still it's more exploration mode than something must have, but we will see. If we go further with this, I will share the findings.
Message 6 of 6